Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag…


Day 3 of teacher training was a big day of firsts.  It was our first day of two yoga classes a day. It was our first class with Rajashree Choudhury (Bikram’s wife).  It was also the first day of posture clinic and the first day of delivering half moon pose.  Yikes!  Our morning yoga class was taught by Rajashree.  She was so sweet but don’t let that fool you, her class was tough.  Honestly, if she held standing head-to-knee pose any longer I might have fallen over! (For those yogis out there reading this, I’m talking what seemed like an eternity in all three parts of the posture.) After class, I took another dip in the pool, grabbed a quick bite to eat and then headed to posture clinic.  At the first posture clinics of training, we are in a big function room with Bikram sitting in his big, comfy chair in front of a stage.  On that stage each one of us has to stand up and deliver half moon in front of Bikram and all 443 yogis.  Talk about anxiety!

I’ve been working on the dialogue for this posture for a while.  After reciting it over and over with my roommate, we told ourselves that we knew this.  “We know this like we know the Pledge of Allegiance,” was our mantra.  So, I decided to rip off the bandaid and get it over with.  I went 4th out of 443 students.  Of course the first 3 get up there, and get nothing but praise.  I step up to the microphone (yes, we had to say this into a mic!) and before I even start the dialogue, Bikram tells me I need “speech therapy.” What a great confidence booster!  He proceeds to tell me that I need to recite it like I would if I were singing.  I told him that I couldn’t sing to save my life!  Lucky for me, he also teaches singing, who knew?!  So, I start the dialogue and he stops me.  Why, you ask?  Well, my rendition was “choppy.”  When I finished, the girl standing next to me said, “Oh my goodness, if I were you I would have run off the stage and cried.”  I didn’t even flinch, I just stood there, listened and didn’t let it get to me. Hilary (my roommate) said that she thought he was so mean to me because he knew I was strong and could handle it... I'll just go with that theory!  

Namaste! 

No comments:

Post a Comment