Sunday, September 30, 2012

The pose begins when you want to leave it


There are so many lessons one can take away each and everyday.  If we reflect upon our experiences without judgment, there is so much we can learn.  I learned a great lesson this week...  

On Friday, I woke up with a really bad head cold along with some flu like symptoms.  Saturday was worse.  Of course, I'm sure it was due to the intensity of this training coupled with the fact that 1. my immune system was down to begin with when I first got here (so much for thinking that I got the sick part out of the way before coming to TT), and 2. the lack of sleep.  Not really the healthiest of combinations. It actually made me realize that strength and determination isn't always doing every posture.  I came into this training with the mentality that I could and would do each and every posture during each and every class.  At the end of nine weeks, I wouldn’t have missed a single one. Hardcore, yes, that's what I would be.  Well, it took more strength for me to allow myself to sit down, to rest, to "take it easy honey," than to continue struggling to complete each pose.  I did it.  I sat down.  I laid down.  I took care of me.  I realized that deciding to sit out a posture or two or ten, is absolutely and entirely fine.  Ironically, I was actually proud of myself for sitting out.  It’s as if this was a lesson I hadn’t been allowing myself to learn… until now.  There is a difference between being hardcore and being stupid, being lazy and being aware, being stubborn and being smart.  For me, taking it easy is what I needed to do for my health, my body, and for my wellbeing.  I pushed the boundary but didn’t cross it. 

I'm so glad that the week is over though.  Yesterday was Hilary’s birthday.  She went to the beach, did a little shopping, and then went out for dinner.  I just stayed in and rested. I felt bad for missing out on celebrating with her, but I need to kick this in the ass or it's going to kick mine!  I'll make it up to her and we'll do something fun another weekend.  So for now, it's back to the resting and hydrating… oh, and let’s not forget the soup!

Namaste!

1 comment: